Re: need decision on packages with crypto hooks

On Mar 27, J.H.M.Dassen wrote
> I have mentioned a fourth option before, but probably not very clearly.
> I'll try to explain it clearly this time:
> - have the packaged maintained by non-US maintainers,
> - have them uploaded to a debian-non-US site
> - _imported_ into the US (not covered by ITAR AFAIK)

It would be even better if this scheme could be tightly integrated with
the way the whole Debian project works. At the moment, because the
master servers are in the US, the non-us distribution is a bit of a
second class citizen.

Let's make the mirroring setup "do the right thing" so that crypto stuff
is available from every mirror.

Another interesting option: switch over to http as the primary protocol
and have links to crypto stuff always point to non-us sites. That way
the stupidity of ITAR becomes even clearer because everyone obeys the
law, while getting crypto has never been easier.

--
Bart Schuller                  schuller+sig@lunatech.com At Lunalabs, where the
Lunatech Research              http://www.lunatech.com/  future is made today..