prospective package: Garmin gps receiver handler

I would like to submit a package for gpstrans.  Here is a quote from
its README file:

  GPStrans is a program which allows to up- and download waypoints,
  route, almanac and trackroutes from you Garmin GPS. There is a
  ASCII-Version wish will allow to use the basic up-/download features
  of the program without having access to a graphic screen. The
  X11-Verion will soon allow to view the track-log and waypoints, also
  allow the edit data.

Comments?

The package includes this copyright statement:

  GPStrans is FreeWare. I'm releasing this source code to the public
  domain.  You can redistribute it as often as you want as long as you
  let the original copyright notice in. If you like to do changes to
  GPStrans, please contact me before so that we can coordinate the work.

  GPStrans is Copyright 1995 by Carsten tschach
  (tschach@zedat.fu-berlin.de).  The datum translation-routines are
  based on the program MacGPS from John F.  Waers (jfwaers@csn.net).

As I understand the copyright law, these statements are contradictory.
You can either claim a copyright, or else release a work to the public
domain, but not both.  Is this copyright OK for the main distribution,
or should I ask the author for a clarification.  For example, I could
ask him to remove the sentence "I'm releasing this source code to the
public domain."

                          - Jim Van Zandt