Re: Decision on leaving upstream tar files untouched?

> So there's no real provision for having a pacakge who's name is
> different from the upstream name (perhaps just a bad idea anyway).
> The reason I bring this up is that I'm packaging RScheme whose
> upstream tarfile is named rs-version.tar.gz, while I was thinking of
> naming the Debian package "rscheme" to reflect the actual name of the
> project/program.

Consistancy is a pretty good reason.  There is just something comforting
about looking for package source and knowing exactly what it will be
named.

> What's more, rscheme has two executables, rs and rstore.  rs has the
> same name as the upstream tarfile, so it's the one someone who
> installs a package named "rs" would me most likely to run, but it's
> not generally the one you should be running.  Normally you would run
> rstore.  They are similar, but rstore has more functionality.
> Considering these issues, I was going to name the package rscheme, and
> provide a link from /usr/bin/rscheme to /usr/bin/rstore.
>
> Bad idea?

I think it is a good idea.  I've been discouraging very-short package
names because they are meaningless without prior experience.  Admittedly,
"rscheme" doesn't mean much to me, but it means more than "rs".

The same goes for naming command.  I think the mirror package already
does this, renaming "mm" to "mirror-master"; a perfectly reasonable
thing to do especially considering that mirror-master is almost never
run by hand.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

     It's not the days in your life, but the life in your days that counts.