Re: Decision on leaving upstream tar files untouched?

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> Upstream source is packaged as <package>_<version>.tar.gz from the source
> tree <package>-<version>/ and that the .dsc and .diff.gz files would be
> used to build the debian source tree - <package>-<version>.debian/.

So there's no real provision for having a pacakge who's name is
different from the upstream name (perhaps just a bad idea anyway).
The reason I bring this up is that I'm packaging RScheme whose
upstream tarfile is named rs-version.tar.gz, while I was thinking of
naming the Debian package "rscheme" to reflect the actual name of the
project/program.

What's more, rscheme has two executables, rs and rstore.  rs has the
same name as the upstream tarfile, so it's the one someone who
installs a package named "rs" would me most likely to run, but it's
not generally the one you should be running.  Normally you would run
rstore.  They are similar, but rstore has more functionality.
Considering these issues, I was going to name the package rscheme, and
provide a link from /usr/bin/rscheme to /usr/bin/rstore.

Bad idea?

Thanks
--
Rob