Re: proposal for limiting menu icons color and size

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> Christian Schwarz:
> >
> > On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > > There has been some discussion on debian-devel about what size and
> > > colormap the icons on the debian menus should use. The consensus seems to be
> > > that icons are limited to 32x32 pixels, and a 16x16 minicon is also
> > > provided. Also, we limit the colormap to 24 colors that are the default
> > > colormap for the GIMP (and are a superset of the 16 colors MS Windows uses
> > > for icons). Here is an xpm that has the 24 colors in it:
> > [snip]
> >
> > First of all, I must admit I haven't followed this discussion so far. But
> > if you got a consensus about this, we should probably add a new section to
> > the Policy Manual.
> >
> > Does everyone agree with this version?
>
> I'm not sure if the menu system is ready to be included in the policy manual
> yet. If it is, we should also add to the policy manual that programs should
> register themselves on the menus.

Agreed.

What's the status of the menu system, i.e. how many packages support it?
I just had a look at the goal list for 1.3: the menu support is on this
list! Can we reach that goal?

If menu (and related) stuff is getting more and more implemented, we
should add a new section to the Manual that explains what packages must
register, icon colors, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@debian.org,
                  schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de, bm955877@muenchen.org

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com