Re: Java Policy

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Maarten Boekhold wrote:
> > > Java classes should be zipped if possible, named <package>.zip and placed
> > > into /usr/share/java/classes.  If the classes are not zipped place them
> > > into /usr/share/java/classes/<package>/.  Properties that are not modified
> > > go into /usr/share/java/.  If the properties are modified frequently its
> > > up to the policy and the package developer.  Most likely it will be
> > > /etc/<package>.  Wrappers for Java programs should go into /usr/bin.
> > >
> > > Java is not mentioned anywhere in the FSSTND, or in the policy manuals.
> I might be wrong, but isn't /usr/share a place that can be shared among
> architectures? And aren't (at least some) java-classes architecture
> dependent? Like the AWT?
You are right.  I wasn't thinking.  I left out netscape's classes.zip
because I new it was specific to netscape.  The JDK's classes.zip is
architecture specific.

Java-Cup, Java-Lex, and Jigsaw's classes are not specific to any
architecture

A side note: There are developments being made to replace the JDK's
classes.zip.  They seem to be making good progress.  When they are working
reasonably well I think I will dump the JDK.

Michael Fletcher	http://hssktn3.sk.sympatico.ca/~michael/
zidj@geocities.com	See web page for PGP Public Key