Java Policy

I am the new maintainer(as soon an my account is created) of all of the
Java packages currently available for Debian(plus some more java
packages you havn't seen yet). I can not find out where Java
stuff should go and the current placement of Java classes and libraries is
not right.

Packages	Classes				Libraries

jdk		/usr/lib/jdk			/usr/lib/jdk/lib
kaffe		requires jdk's classes.zip	/usr/lib/
guavac		/usr/lib/guavac			none
java-lex	/usr/lib/jdk/classes/JavaLex	none
java-cup	/usr/lib/jdk/classes/java_cup	none

See, its all over the place.  I am packageing Jigsaw and creating a
wrapper for Corell Office for Java.  There needs to be some standard place
to put Java stuff, here is my first stab at it.

Java classes should be zipped if possible, named <package>.zip and placed
into /usr/share/java/classes.  If the classes are not zipped place them
into /usr/share/java/classes/<package>/.  Properties that are not modified
go into /usr/share/java/.  If the properties are modified frequently its
up to the policy and the package developer.  Most likely it will be
/etc/<package>.  Wrappers for Java programs should go into /usr/bin.

Java is not mentioned anywhere in the FSSTND, or in the policy manuals.

Michael Fletcher	http://hssktn3.sk.sympatico.ca/~michael/
zidj@geocities.com	See web page for PGP Public Key