partitioning disk during installation

I was just reading through the Installation instructions for Debian
and was wandering about the section on partitioning your hard disk.
I seem to recall someone telling me that when RedHat repartitions
the disk, that it moves things around on the disk so that chances
are you don't have to reinstall windoze (assuming that is already
on your disk and you want to keep it).
Is this just a bunch of hot air or is this something we could do too.
I really found it inconvenient having to reinstall windoze after
installing Debian. Of course, you may ask why I'd even want to put it
back on? (I do boot windoze about once a month just to remind myself
why I hate it.)

- Sue