Re: fvwm95 gratuitously reconfigures system

'Kenneth MacDonald wrote:'

>Chris Fearnley <cjf@netaxs.com> writes:
>> Does xbase support a mechanism like install-info or install-mime for
>> adding a window manager to /etc/X11/window-managers?  Should it?
>
>This is really a per user thing.  Window managers are perhaps as
>fundamental to the way people work as editors, and we all know what
>happens when we try to standardise on a default editor :)

Then each window manager asks once on initial install and never asks
again -- that's fine.

>How about the adduser script copying a .xsession file with a
>customised window manager call in it to the user's home directory?
>But then if the system admin is worried about users' configurations,
>then dotfile is the program to use, I suppose.

No, not in adduser.  But I see no reason why each window manager couldn't
include /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm95config (in analogy with our
/usr/sbin/pkgconfig scripts) that would walk the user through a local
customization.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS