Re: Upgrade procedure for tetex

'Chow Chi-Ming wrote:'

>Chris> I think most of the old tex packages can be automatically
>Chris> uninstalled with a variation on this.  But the tetex-base
>Chris> and/or -bin need to Provides the old packages so things don't
>Chris> blow up in process.
>
>I am confused.  What are these ``things'' and how will they ``blow
>up''?  The package mentioned in the Provides field are virtual package
>names.  Do we have an alternative (La)TeX system in Debian so that we
>need virtual packages?

"Blow up" is my way of saying dselect will complain loudly.  One can
use Provides to give dpkg assurances that the upgrade will work.
Conceptually this use of Provides differs from virtual packages.  The
idea is that the new tetex packages should provide the old TeX
packages so dpkg will allow the old tex packages to be replaced.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS