Re: XEmacs, Emacs and elisp

Hi,

	Yes, I unfortunately had to support a fairly diverse group
 while I was at UMASS, and we had fierce devotees belonging to either
 camp. Compatible?  Fairly, though not perfectly, as far as 19.14
 went. But the XEmacs developers were making no guarantees about
 future compatibility.

	    I did have a glitch with a package using macros loaded
 from ``native'' elisp files, which were different for both emacsen
 (this is problem with a elisp add-on depending on other modules in
 the distribution, there is more of a potential to get something in a
 non-working state).

	     I don't remember the details off hand, because I decreed
 then that we maintain two separate trees (we toyed with the idea of a
 shadow tree of el files, and local elc files, but never implemented
 it).

	It just makes me feel uncomfortable about mixing the two
 implementations. (I wish I had a more solid technical case to present
 here).

	manoj
--
 "An entire fraternity of strapping Wall-Street-bound youth.  Hell -
 this is going to be a blood bath!" Post Bros. Comics