Re: XEmacs

On 25 Feb 1997, James LewisMoss wrote:

> I'm planning on allowing both v19 and v20 XEmacs to be installed.
> XEmacs will be compiled with mule support, and while some people will
> want it I assume others will not want it (it slows down XEmacs a
> noticeable amount, so I figured the choice would be better).  XEmacs
> 20.0 without mule support is actually faster than 19.14, but figuring
> out how to deal with that is a little beyond me at the moment (and
> 19.15 should be faster than 20.0 without mule, so it'll be better when
> that is released).

Try to make it mostly similar to the current emacs package, mean same
directory structure (with different names) and same packaging. It will be
less confuse to maybe merge thing after that.

> The only hitch I still haven't figured out is dealing with package
> installed .el files in /usr/lib/emacs/site-list.  I don't feel it is
> right to just add that directory to the load path because there are
> enough difference between GNU Emacs and XEmacs that it might cause
> problems (esp v20 and GNU Emacs).  My current though is to deal with
> one .el file (debian-changelog-mode.el since I am using that), and let
> the rest be dealt with locally if the local person wants to.  (though
> this is a bad solution I must admit).  Does anyone have any
> suggestions?

You should don't mix each directories.. Try to avoid most conflict with
emacs and use divertion for b2m, ctags, etags, and other that I don't
remember. May be can we start a thread about trying to merge emacs and
xemacs elisp files? Most of them work on either version.

If you can put all .el in a separate optional package, please do it to.
Xemacs is enough big as it is.

> Does anyone have an general suggestions/comments/thoughts/concerns/etc?
>
> Thanks
> Jim

All IMHO, be sure. ;)

 Little Billy goes to the zoo:
   "Looks mom! An elephant like those on the Web!"
Fabien Ninoles aka le Veneur aka le Corbeau
E-mail: fab@tzone.org
WebPage: http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/ninf01
E-mail me with "get pgp key" in the subject to get my public key
PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70