Re: An alternative to deb-make Re: deb-make

On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Galen Hazelwood wrote:

> 1) dpkg-source should be loosened to allow creation of directories and
>    files without problem.  It can still refuse to allow changes to
>    binary files, as this error is usually the first clue that I
>    forgot to clean up before trying to build the diffs...

I don't what is the point here against directory creation. I think it was
against diff. But if we can allow to dpkg-source at least in the debian
subdirectory, I think it's a good thing

> 2) The new "standard" for arranging the debian directory:  We keep
>    things as they are for single-binary packages, but multi-binary
>    packages now create a directories under debian for each binary.
>    This is an easy way to remember which postinst goes with what.
>
> 3) Single-binary packages build in debian/tmp, and multi-binary
>    packages build in debian/tmp-foo, debian/tmp-bar, etc.  By keeping
>    this consistant between packages, we can make the behavior of other
>    tools smarter.
>
> 4) dpkg-gencontrol be altered to reflect these changes; when called
>    without arguments in a single binary package, its behavior should
>    remain the same (build control file in debian/tmp/DEBIAN).  In multi-
>    binary packages, it should generate control files for each binary in
>    debian/tmp-[binaryname]/DEBIAN.  One call does it all.

About 2), 3) and 4), why not simply saying to that <package> will be
construct
in debian/<package> directory? If debian/<package> does not exist, then
warn us and ask for using debian/tmp. I think is little more consistent

> 5) dpkg-shlibdeps actually dosen't need changing, really...it's current
>    behavior is probably correct.  I can't think of any "magical" way it
>    can determine what binary any given executable belongs to, so -d
>    should still be used.  Another possibility is creating different
>    shlibdeps files in subdirectories of debian, with a new command line
>    flag.  I don't see that as much of a gain, though.

Can't pronounce myself about this one. Don't know too much about this
tool.

> Any comments?
>
> --Galen

Good work! we need some more constructive mail like this one. Clear and
constructive. Thanks.

 Q: Can someone please explain to me the difference between
    Java and C?
 A: Java is an island north of Australia, whereas C is the
    Roman numeral for 100
                             - (Ken Nicolson, comp.lang.c)
Fabien Ninoles aka le Veneur aka le Corbeau
E-mail: fab@tzone.org
WebPage: http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/ninf01
E-mail me with "get pgp key" in the subject to get my public key
PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70