Re: LinuxThreads soname

> How hard would it be to make the dynamic linker index different
> instances of the same soname based on what libraries they depend on?

And how does the linker choose which library to use?  Presumably it
would choose the one that had a nonempty intersection of dependencies
with the application.  But what if there is more than one library that
meets that criterium?

For example, I could compile an ncurses program that is statically
linked against libc5.  Does the linker choose the ncurses using libc5
or the one using libc6?  Perhaps it doesn't matter?

David - maybe we could use seperate ld.so.conf's and append the
version number to the filename.  My previous example would then be:

# this is /etc/ld.so.conf
/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib