moving conffiles

Is there anything special that needs to be done when changing the
filenames of conffiles, to ensure that either the old conffile gets
removed, and that the new conffile inherits changes the user made to the
old?

I know there was some discussion on this a few weeks back. I'm looking for
advise from a maintainer who has successfully renamed a conffile in the
past.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -i\$q='$q',\$p='$p';eval\$q.\$\^I\n"#  #   joey@kite.ml.org
$q='print"$p$^I\n',$p='#!/usr/bin/perl -i';eval$q.$^I  #          Joey Hess