Re: Simple solution to pre-installation configuration

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> I have made adpkg-0.5 available which contains a working prototype of
> pre-installation configuration of the adpkg package itself.
>
> Here is how it works:
>
> Concept for Package Configuration
> ---------------------------------
>
> 1. The .deb package contains a configure script that can be run before
> installation of the package itself. The script will ask the users for how
> the package needs to be configured and will place the results into
> /var/lib/config/packagename. Fields have the form
>
> VARIABLE=VALUE
>
> and the file is simply readable by a bash script through
>
> . /var/lib/config/packagename
>

> 2. On installation the package's postinst (or preinst) will check for the
> presence of /var/lib/config/packagename. If the file is not present then
> simply assume some sane default values. If the file is present then retrieve
> the user customization values from this file and configure the package
> accordingly.
>
> Guidelines:
> -----------
>
> 1. The package will never refer to /var/lib/config/packagename for
>    configuration information except at installation time. The user might
>    run a reconfiguration at any time without activating that new
>    configuration.  The information in /var/lib/config is only to be
>    consulted during installation.
>
> 2. During package installation the postinst/preinst/postrm/prerm scripts
>    should not prompt for any values but have the configure script do the
>    job.
>
> 3. The configure script will only write information to
>    /var/lib/config/packagename and not change any other configuration files
>    on the system.
>
> Christoph Lameter, January 25, 1996
>

> --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ --- +++ ---
> Please always CC me when replying to posts on mailing lists.

Really prefer this proposition then the other one. Is more
comprehensible, intuitive, easy to install and edit, and portable
(I mean by this than is easier to do network installations this way).

 This article is a natural product.  The slight variations in
 logic and coherence enhance its individual character and
 beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.
Fabien Ninoles aka le Veneur aka le Corbeau
E-mail: Ninf01@gel.usherb.ca
WebPage: http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/ninf01
Finger me for my pgp key (finger ninf01@gel.usherb.ca)