Re: LinuxThreads soname

David Engel <david@sw.ods.com> writes:

> Do we make sure everyone uses new sonames for these libraries
> when they are built with libc6, or do we reuse the same sonames and
> add hacks to the dynamic linkers to make them look in different
> directories depending on whether libc5 or libc6 is being used?

David already knows my position.  There are not anymore plans to make
the new ld.so compatible with the old one (this would probably only
have negative effects).  Instead I would prefer to add some kind of
mark in the ld.so.conf file.  It should tag the directories in there.
The tag should distinguish the use os ld-linux.so.1 and ld-linux.so.2.

Now one could of course ask why not introduce a new conf file.  I
think it would be bad since inventing another file for the same
purpose would confuse the people and hopefully soon all confi files
are clean again since all libc-5 based binaries are gone.

-- Uli
---------------.      drepper@cygnus.com  ,-.   Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper  \    ,-------------------'   \  76149 Karlsruhe/Germany
Cygnus Solutions `--' drepper@gnu.ai.mit.edu  `------------------------