Re: packages directly into stable

Lars Wirzenius:
> sacampbe@mercator.math.uwaterloo.ca:
> > All package upgrades, except security fixes, must reside in unstable
> > for one week before being placed into stable.
>
> This doesn't help, if no-one actually tests the package. At the
> moment, we have no way to know that.

Perhaps I should elaborate. We need to set up a system that
minimizes the chance of buggy packages getting into stable.
Although by no means foolproof, it
is much better than the current system and quite simple. I'm sure
it would catch most problems in the required packages since many people
like to live on the bleeding edge.

What else would you have people do? :
Trust maintainers: current system. See the problems it's caused.

Require that a certain number of people install the package and
send in replies stating the package is ok (for them). Has possibilities,
but relying on testers like this isn't good. Too many would let others
respond.

Hmm, I can't really come up with any other good ideas. The suggestion
is certainly better than the current system and can't hurt.

-Sue