Re: CD issues

David Monro <davidm@fuzzbox.psrg.cs.usyd.edu.au> writes:

> 1) Take all the cd drivers which can be made as modules out of the boot kernel
> - this should solve some problems (like machines with ne2000 cards locking up
> on boot - I know how to get around this, but does a newbie?) This would also
> make life easier later - at the moment I pretty much have to compile a custom
> kernel for each machine I install for people so they don't go mad waiting for
> all the cd probes at the beginning. This would save me a quite bit of time.

This is already done.

> 2) Add a menu thingy as the first thing after getting the root filesystem
> mounted to load the appropriate CD module before we continue booting. At this
> point we should be able to mount the cd somewhere so we don't need the base
> system to be on a floppy, right? Oh, we should build the iso9660 filesystem
> into the kernel as well. And we need some way of remebering which cd module we
> used so we can insert into /etc/modules later.
>
> The main problem is we might overflow a floppy.

The main problem is that this might overflow 4MB RAM. So we have to
provide different disks for low-memory installations, and these cannot
support all features. On the other hand we already do this, so it is
no change.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/