Re: Request official mandate for -D_REENTRANT

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:
> And what about non-library parts ? Is it okay to recompile executables with -D_REENTRANT ? The reason I ask is that many sources don't provide an easy way to have different DEFINES for libraries and executables. And many source packages come also with e
xecutables (tcl, tk, jpeg, etc...).

As long as the app isn't linked with -lpthread, the only difference
you should see is that it will run ever-so-slightly slower when it's
compiled with -D_REENTRANT.  The only time you should see a
significant slow down is when an app is linked with -lpthread.  Of
course, in that case, the app should be making good use of threads.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road