Re: Request official mandate for -D_REENTRANT

> David Engel <david@sw.ods.com> wrote:
> >Yes!  Even if a library doesn't support threads itself, it still needs
> >to be compiled with -D_REENTRANT so that it picks up the threaded
> >portions of libc.  For example, errno is handled differently depending
> >on whether or not -D_REENTRANT is used.  When -D_REENTRANT is not
> >used, errno is simply a global integer.  When -D_REENTRANT is used,
> >errno is a macro which evaluates to the lvalue of a per-thread
> >integer.  So if libdb uses errno (pretty likely) and isn't compiled
> >with -D_REENTRANT, it can't safely be used by a threaded application.

And what about non-library parts ? Is it okay to recompile executables with -D_REENTRANT ? The reason I ask is that many sources don't provide an easy way to have different DEFINES for libraries and executables. And many source packages come also with executables (tcl, tk, jpeg, etc...).

Phil.