Speed of bug system

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu:
> Exactly, it takes hours to get the bug-number because it's hours
> from the time I send the message to the time I get the acknowledgement.

Um, this is a problem. The bug system should be pretty fast. Are you
sure it isn't just the fact that it takes long for the mail to travel?
That is, could you try to send in a bug report, and see how long it
takes for it to come up on the web page?