Re: question about package building

> 1.  When I run deb-make, it creates a debian/control file with the
> field Architecture set to "any".  I have edited this to reflect the
> architecture on which I'm building the package.  But I notice that
> only a few of the other debian source packages I've looked at have
> an Architecture field set to anything but "any".  Now, I realize
> that packages which are basically scripts might reasonably be
> set to "any", but I don't understand why so many packages with
> compiled programs should be set to "any", since I doubt that many
> of them were actually built with cross-compilers.  What's going on here?

The setting "any" means (as far as I know) that it can be compiled for
any processor running Linux.  The "dpkg-genchanges" sets this appropriately
when building the binary.

The setting "all" means that the resulting binary will run on any
architecture (eg. perl scripts, data files, etc).

I have a few packages with an architecture of "i386" because they
will not run anywhere else: netscape, apple2, wine

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )