Re: Release is currently inflexible...was Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > You haven't changed the status of "make all packages conform to the new
> > source package format". I know you don't think this is important, but many
> > of us do. Bruce even indicated that this was something that should get
> > higher priority.
> [snip]
> > We have had some very good discussions about what constitutes a critical
> > bug, all of which has been totaly ignored in your list.
> [snip]
> > I think everyone has agreed that the really major problem with the release
> > currently is the many packages with broken or unappropriate depends that
> > force dselect into failure.
>
> 	Right, the old package format is a problem, and all packages
> (about 200) should be converted before next froze.
>
> 	But instead of being angry, why don't you simply reply to Brian
> "Sorry, but seems like you forgot to include XXXX and YYYY in your list,
> thanx". I've done this several times with positive results. _(;

I'm not angry, but I am concerned.

> 1/ Most developpers can't fully read _all_ messages of debian devel,
> so your idea (however good/bad it might be) might get lost. Not a reason
> to be angry still.

This is not about me or my ideas. There have been several, fairly long
threads on this issues covered in my earlier posting. My concern was that
none of the conclusions drawn by those conversations have even been hinted
at in the documentation.

> 2/ If you _DO_ feel angry against Brian (or anyone else!) then please use
> private mail!!! This mailing list is debian-devel, not
> I-m-angry-against-XXX-cos-he-missed-my-message-on-the-other-mailing-list...

This has nothing to do with anger. As I hope Brian knows, I like him as a
person and respect him for his skills. If I am only allowed to complain
about process in private email, how will the rest of the group be able to
make knowlegable recommendations.

As an additional point of information: I am not angry with any developer
who has not found the time or energy to upgrade their packages to the new
source format. We each get to deal with our own lives and the
opportunities and difficulties that arrise from them. We must continually
remind ourselves that these are all volunteers and learn to accept the
contributions that do get made.
We should also be creative enough as a group to come up with solutions to
the problems created by the volunteer nature of the group.

> 	Now, let's try to set up something constructive for this old
> packaging problem: (assuming it's a critical bug since it slows down a
> lot the other ports)
>
> I propose the following:
>
> 1/ ask every package maintainer (by personnal email) to change all their
> packages to new package format _AS SOON AS POSSIBLE_.
>
> 2/ Set up a dead-line after which it will be possible for other
> developpers to take over packages and repackage them.
>
> 3/ Call for volunteers for repackaging.
>
> 4/ Organise who will repackage what.
>
> This should also have a good side effect:
>
> - We'll be able to check which developpers dropped the projet.
> Some developpers don't reply to email, haven't uploaded for months and
> some of their packages have dozains of bugs.

Please don't take this as a negative response to your idea. It has the
features of several other suggestions that are like it. What it requires
is someone to carry through the plan. Without a volunteer to impliment it
none of the good ideas presented on this list are at all possible. This
doesn't mean that they aren't good ideas, they just lack an implimentor.

Luck,

Dwarf