New!!!: Base-passwd 2.0
I'm about to upload a drastically modified version of base-passwd.
The new feature is automatic upgrade of passwd and group entries.
It's rather sophisticated:
1) Can do both upgrades and downgrades.
2) Handles partial changes (eg, changing the home directory).
3) Asks when in doubt.
I have a few concerns about it though:
1) Integration with shadow passwords:
Will shadow passwords be used in 1.3 or not ?
What happens if an entry exists in passwd which is not in shadow ?
=> I assume that the user cannot log in, which is perfect for
2) Should I offer an alternative to this automatic upgrades, that is
keep the old conffile scheme for people who prefer it.
=> In this case, that will mean two different packages I think, a
base-passwd and a base-passwd-auto. I don't like this.
3) How to handle transition with the current base-passwd ?
=> I'm thinking about asking the user if I can wipe-out the
1 and 99 inclusively, and then rebuild it with the new
4) Should this package go into experimental or go into bo (after a
lot of testing, of course). ?
5) How do you perform passwd and group locking ?
Additionnaly, I'd need some beta-testers :-).
Please volunteer to have your passwd and group kindly changed by an
TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org . Trouble? e-mail to Bruce@Pixar.com