Re: Next release is 1.3, not 2.0

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> The feedback I have so far is that LIBC 6 for i386 is still enough in
> flux that we don't want to go with it yet. Stability could come in weeks
> or months, but we don't know when. This was the major change that would
> have made it "2.0". Thus, the next release will be 1.3 .
>
> The goals I have in mind for 1.3 are:
>
> 	Long public beta test before release.
>
> 	All documentation web-browsable. Let's _try_ to implement the web
> 	standard, OK folks? Do I have to do it myself?

This looks like a long term goal to me, not to say that we should not
begin now, but just that it should not get in the way of the release
targets.

> 	One-floppy or no-floppy install. Easy if you have an IDE CD or
> 	one of the linked-in SCSI interfaces with a SCSI CD. Otherwise
> 	we have to run modconf before we mount it.

This is very close if not already possible with the rescue disks, at least
for some limited set of CD hardware.

> 	Applications interfaced to PAM, passwd and shadow support only for
> 	now, no libpwdb use for now. Other PAM modules will be supported
> 	after PAM 1.0 .

This one looks like more than is possible this release. We tried to get
shadow passwords in last time and failed. We should focus on getting that
working first, then concider integrating it with PAM. Not that we
shouldn't be figuring to make it work. That is, putting the hooks and
underpinnings in for PAM support while we iron out shadow passwords is
appropriate. I just don't want to see us commit to something we can't yet
deliver, with all the ramifications that has for the release strategy.

> Perhaps there are other goals we should consider.

Our most visible problem at the moment has to do with dependency problems
with individual packages. We took in such a glut of packages last release
that we need to do some digestion before we take on any more "big bites".

Luck,

Dwarf