Re: Debian development using the master account?

Guy> Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> writes:
>> Couldn't we just do this in the tarfile, just before compression ?

Guy> It's certainly feasible to write a program which could change the
Guy> owners and groups of files in the dpkg.  But why?  Hopefully you
Guy> testing your packages by at least installing them, which requires
Guy> you to be root anyway.  If you can install them, you can just
Guy> build them.

Because my debian machine is connected to the net via a slow modem, I
welcome the ability to build a proper file set (.dsc, .changes, .deb,
.orig.tar.gz, .diff.gz) for a package on master.  I am thinking of
building and testing a package off-line at home.  when I am happy with
the package I transfer the .diff.gz file to master and build a file
set there.  The file set can then be copied to the Incoming directory.
That would save a lot of bandwidth for not only myself, but also for
uploads to master (diffs instead of the full file set).  This consumes
a lot of CPU time and disk space on master!

Em, I have another idea...  Wouldn't it be nice if developers only
need to upload diffs (the orig.tar.gz as well for a new upstream
version)?  The generation and propagation of file sets are performed
centrally.  Again requires a lot of CPU time and disk space.

Am I making any sense here?

--
Billy C.-M. Chow <cmchow@se.cuhk.edu.hk>
Department of Systems Engineering