Re: Debian 1.2.2 and dependency on libc5 (>= 5.4.17-1)

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > > Note: this linking ahead of the release libraries is not limited to
> > > non-free, or caused by its seperation from the distribution proper. The
> > > cause comes from maintainers trying to keep their "development" systems up
> > > to date with "unstable".. These folks need to be made aware of the
> > > difficulties caused by this practice and discouraged from doing this to
> > > release packages.
> >
> > If developers don't track unstable and catch bugs with new packages, who
> > is going to do it?
>
> [ snip ]
>
> I only have one machine as well, but I have enough (barely) space to build
> a test bench for issues like this. Once you have all your packages in
> order with the needs of the new release, then all further development
> efforts on your part are going to go into unstable and can track the
> latest versions there. The idea here is for the maintainer to be aware of
> these issues and plan accordingly.
>
> [ snip ]

On a practical side, what is the recommend approach to this
problem?  I currently track unstable, do not have stable
installed, am maintaining the wn package, and would
obviously like to have the package available for the stable
branch.

My understanding of the packaging standard is to use the following in
the control file:

    Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}

and use dpkg-shlibsdeps to do textual substitution.

Should I replace this with a hard-coded limit on the libc version
supported by stable?  Will this work if I compile the package under
the unstable branch?

--- Jean Pierre