Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

> 9 - One of the things that most people outside the US and UK have to deal
>     with is configuring everything so that non-ASCII characters and other
>     locale specific stuff works right. For example, bash needs a ~/.inputrc
>     so that you write åäö on the command line, instead of getting
>     beeps. Emacs needs some other stuff.  -- Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>

  I've been doing for quite some time... so I can provide some assistance
on this.

  Question to the Emacs maintainer... currently, Emacs needs to have LC_CTYPE
set to iso-8859-1... could this be modified to have it accept the definition
of LC_CTYPE, through setlocale?  As most locale's define the accepted character
set inside LC_CTYPE in the LOCALEDIR, which will in many cases be different
from iso-8859-? and set through the LANG variable.