package questions ...

Soryy about asking this as I'm sure its doumented somewhere, but
Its surely easier to harang you people than the docs.  Please
feel free to point out where I can get this ino on my own
however.

Q1) The installed-size is calculated and put into the control
file at build time and the package Size is generated when the
Package.distribution file is generated.  Why is it that the only
place these two fields exist together is in
/var/lib/dpkg/available?

Q2) how is the available file generated (I know with dpkg, but
what is dpkg doing)?

The status, available, and Package.* files seem to have similar
(redundant?) information but the "size" related fields are
inconsistent.  I'm trying to build a simple tool for local use
here and want to know the "best" place to get metainfo on
packages (both installed and not installed).

Thanks in advance.

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan