Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

Hi,

	I agree with Dwarf that bug age is not a criteria for the
 seriousness of the bug, but I think it is still not an unreasonable
 goal to at least try to get rid of some of the items on our bug
 list.

	Ideally, I'd like us all to be totally motivated and active in
 removing obsolete bugs from the tracking system, and to actively hunt
 out the last little bug, but, being human, we all seem to need an
 incentive to do so (just look at some of the older reports to see
 what I mean).

	The only reason that a bug shuld be there for more than a year
 is if it is a feature request; or else it should have been handled,
 or forwarded upstream. If people really have had no time, maybe it is
 time to give up those packages to some one else, or orphan them.

	Maybe we need a mechanism that says ``feature request''
 similar to the ``forwarded upstream'' process.

	So, even if really old bugs may not be ``critical'' or show
 stoppers, I think it is important to squashh the oldest, say every 3
 months or so.  Makes sense to attach to a process already
 established, namely the release process.

	manoj
--
 "Anyone who has begun to think places some portion of the world in
 jeopardy." John Dewey