Re: Manual pages for GNU programs: template

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Winfried Truemper:
> IMHO, man-pages are technical references. As such, they should be
> "complete".

For real manual pages, yes, but this is supposed to be a quick way
to get at least some useful information (command line synopsis) and
a pointer to the real manual. If we require Debian maintainers to
rewrite the Info files as manual pages, it will cause them much
more work, and I don't think that's a good idea.

> Lars, could you provide a README or something like that ("style guide")
> for you sample man-page to cover those aspects? (read: the things you did
> well but didn't explain explicitly).

man(1) and man(7) should cover this. If not, I could write something,
but I'm not really very good at troff -- I just copy and imitate
what other pages do.