Re: What is a logo?

(I think there's a list for this stuff?)

 WT> I visited the "Debian logo" page and I must say that I'm quite
 WT> impressed over the creativity of the contributors.

 WT> Nevertheless, I would recommend to define what a logo in our
 WT> sense is.  In my opinion, a logo must be an eye-catcher which is
 WT> easy to remember.  A symbol that is associated with Debian
 WT> ("brand picture"). Something very simple consisting of one color
 WT> (not counting black and white). No words or only "Debian".

Yes. I agree with this 100%. A lot of text, some of it small, with
different typefaces, etc, isn't a good idea. The picture should also
be resizeable, and if it has colours, it should work without them.

 WT> With this definition, I classify most pictures on the web-page
 WT> (thanks to Christian for maintaing it!) as contribution to a
 WT> gallery, but not as not logos. They try to express everything
 WT> through the logo. That's not the purpose of a logo (IMHO).

Indeed. Let's not try to fit version information, URL, GPL, and the
declaration of independence on the logo. (OK, no-one has tried the
last two, but you probably get the idea.)

 WT> For example, "good" logos can be found on

 WT>         http://www.suse.de/    (big german Linux distribution)

Er. That is certainly recognizable, but silly :)

 WT>         http://www.redhat.com/
 WT>         http://www.sun.com/

Indeed. I think I even gave these two as examples in one of the
comments I wrote... also:

http://www.sgi.com/        (It does depend a little on colours)
http://www.freebsd.com/    (Same here, but the daemon is great)
http://www.javasoft.com/