Re: Goals for 1.3?

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Marek Michalkiewicz:
> I don't think it is a step back.  This would make it possible to do
> all the configuration in little shell files, separate from the init
> scripts (which wouln't then need to be configurable).

This approach does not let you to transparently inherit settings from
other locations. You can't, for example, have a master configuration
database, shared between all systems on your site, and a per-system
one, which overrides the master database when necessary. (Well, you
can, but it's more painful.)

It is restricted to /bin/sh scripts. It's not as easily portable
to perl, csh, zsh, rc, or C.

It wastes disk space: 1 kB / file, and potentially hundreds of
files. I prefer to keep my root partition small, thanks.

It doesn't let you easily change the location or implementation
of the database.

It doesn't let you easily share configuration variables between
packages.

OTOH, it is simple to implement.