Re: Exim (was Re: Qmail)

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, John Goerzen wrote:

> Whoa...back up a little bit there... :-)

<Screech> Whirrrr.... :-)

> I am currently using Sendmail (and its /etc/aliases format).  I don't know if
> Smail uses a compatible format, but in any case, I have no smailconfig file or
> program anywhere on my system, so I really don't know what that program does
> :-)

It is run by smail's postinst script to set up appropriate configuration
files.  Exim's postinst script does similar things.

> Basically all I'm concerned about here is being able to use my existing config
> file from sendmail with Exim.

As well as debian, I also run Exim on a largeish IRIX system (1386 users,
handling around 50,000 messages a week - admittedly not very much).  The
machine has a fairly sophisticated aliases file from old sendmail days,
and I did not need to make any changes whatsoever.

I don't believe anyone has pointed out that exim also includes a rather
nice 'eximstats' perl script (and other miscellaneous scripts) for
presenting you with statistics generated from the log file.  As a small
example from my SGI box:

Exim statistics from 1996-10-06 00:03:11 to 1996-10-13 00:01:52

    TOTAL               Volume    Messages    Hosts
    Received             170Mb       22251     1754
    Delivered            187Mb       25993     1394

Deliveries by transport

                        Volume    Messages
    address_file          4144           3
    address_pipe        2867Kb         550