Re: Exim (was Re: Qmail)

On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

ian > * Extremely good SMTP connection reuse and consequent good
ian >   performance (unlike Smail or Qmail, and better than Sendmail). [3]

I would like to see a mail delivery like spinner. Why should a process
be spawned for each delivery? The above sound good too.

ian > * Internet only (no UUCP &c, unlike Smail and Sendmail).

That does not matter too much I guess.

ian >ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk:/pub/software/programs/exim/
ian >
ian >Tim Cutts has produced an experimental Debian package of Exim and has
ian >been testing it.  Tim: is your package ready for putting into our
ian >distribution yet ?  Do you want to announce it here perhaps ?  Upload
ian >it into `experimental' ?
ian >
ian >Tim has also adapted the `smailconfig' script for Exim.

I dont know why people are so shy about uploading experimental packages.
Packages need to be evaluated to be improved so please out with it.
Same for glibc etc.

ian >[2] Every time I've said anything about Qmail somewhere the author has
ian >mailed me to complain.  He even occasionally posts flames to the
ian >exim-users list ...

Hmm. Usually developers have strong opinions and are not easy to go along
with. I think the same is true for you and me <G>. Dont worry too much
about it.

ian >[3] Exim has been tested on a number of large and very large sites,
ian >and seems to outperform Sendmail.  Smail, PP and Qmail are a long way
ian >behind.

I'd be really curious to see it.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5