Re: More info on making Debian thread safe.

Rob Browning writes:
> If we really had to, we could provide safe and unsafe versions of some
> libraries, but that seems pointless and complicated unless there's
> actually a *substantial* performance tradeoff involved.

I have some good news.  I tried a very simple-minded test case by
building Tcl 7.6 with glibc 1.99 and using Tcl's test cases as a
benchmark.  Compiling with -D_REENTRANT but not linking with -lpthread
only resulted in a ~1% slowdown.  This amount of slowdown is
satisfactory to me.

FWIW, compiling with -D_REENTRANT and linking with -lpthread resulted
in a ~20% slowdown.  This amount of slowdown seems kind of high to me.
Would any thread experts out there care to explain this?

David