Re: uHm... what happened? :)

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Mike Neuffer wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Jim Pick wrote:
>

> > > It might be the same bug.
> > >
> > > Did you see messages like:
> > > "Couldn't get a free page...."
> > > and
> > > "xxx died because of lack of free space." ?
> >
> > Nope.  I didn't get those.  I was just waiting for dpkg-buildpackage to
> > return when I noticed that the system load was increasing and increasing
> > and increasing ...   I didn't get any error messages at all.  :-(
>
> Maybe they went into your logfiles ?
>
> How long did you wait till you reseted the machine ?
> The bug we are experiencing with the long linear reads
> takes its time before it really kills the machine. For the first 1-2h
> the only simptom you see is that the load goes up more and more and
> the machine strts to swap, then to thrash and then finally has no more
> free memory (and still lots of free swapspace)
>
> For a period of 0.5-1h (before death) the machine ist practically
> unusable.

I might have experienced a bug like that, except my machine somehow
gracefully recovered.  About a month ago I was building my package on the
machine I log in at NRL.  Since I was only telneting in I nohup'd the
build in case I got disconnected.  I ended up loging off and when I tried
to log in the next day to get the package the machine kept on complaining
about not enough memory, so the login kept on dying.  I finally was able
to log in, but I wasn't able to su to root to reboot the machine b/c
again not enough memory.  I finally gave up.  The next day I logged in
and everything was normall.

I felt that was very weird, but left it at that b/c it seemed to recover
gracefully.  Could this be a symptom of the same problem.

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil