Re: Patches to create shellutils 1.12-6

Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> writes:

> That should be fixed, then. It's still essential, but does
> not pre-depend (since I didn't understand why it needed to be;
> I really need to re-read the dpkg manual one of these days).

All package relationships but pre-depends are checked only when a
package is being configured.  If A depends on B, A could still exist
in an unconfigured state without B.  If A pre-depends on B, A cannot
even be unpacked without B.

An essential package may not be removed.  It may only be upgraded or
replaced.

Typically you would only have both or neither.  A package that has one
without the other is probably wrong.

Guy