Re: Problems with 1996-11-28 disk set

From: Johnie Ingram <johnie@netgod.tln.lib.mi.us>
> 	aic7xxx: (aic7xxx_isr) Encounter spurious interrupt.
> 	scsi0: BRKADRINT error(0x1):
> 	  Illegal Host Access
> 	Kernel panic: scsi0: BRKADRINT, error 0x1, seqaddr 0x0

Sigh. Does the aic7xxx driver actually drive your interface, or is
it detecting the wrong card? I'm unhappy with drivers that loop forever
or panic the kernel when they could avoid doing so and just shut down the
device. Driver developers have gotten lazy about this since modules came
along.

> At that point, cfdisk messed up the partition table, correctly writing
> only the first nine partitions (around 2 GB) of a 4.036 GB disk.
> Subsequent attempts to run it produced "FATAL ERROR: Cannot seek on
> disk drive."

That looks like the old 2048 cylinder problem rearing its ugly head
again. The libc part of that bug is fixed - it must be something else.
Maybe I'll luck out and find a newer version of cfdisk.

> cannot open file N
> Cannot open font file N
> run-parts: /etc/rc.boot/0kbd exited with return code 1

Old version of kbd. Fixed in next upload.

> (actually, the documentation could be perfectly clear on this -- As a
> handicap, I haven't read it.  :-)

I documented this bug, yes. The next disk won't have it.

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.