Re: package.list and conffiles [was: Re: dpkg-verify?]

'Fabrizio Polacco wrote:'

>Anyway, I modified the Subject and now I can explain my goals:
>
>Sometimes I find useful to move files at installation time rather than
>at packaging time, and often I had people complaining that the
><package>.list file doesn't adhere to the reality.

I agree.  I think this feature would be nice to have in dpkg.  I
proposed it as a solution in the WWW directory debate still raging.
Unfortunately, it is not available yet and I'm not even sure if Ian
thinks it's a good idea.

>My request was to have a method to push some decision at installation
>time without breaking anything. A tool like dpkg-verify should be aware
>of this problem, I think.
>
>Is this so bad?

I think the feature that dpkg (should?) one day have of supporting the
ability to move files around at install-time and store the results in
"dpkg -L" and hence for upgrading simplicity should be distinct from any
tools that would help sysadmins rearrange their systems.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS