package.list and conffiles [was: Re: dpkg-verify?]

Chris Fearnley wrote:

> 'Fabrizio Polacco wrote:'
> >
> >Philippe Troin wrote:
> >>
> >> Dpkg justs records the file list, not anything else.
> >> I had further problems with packages which create some files in
> >> their postinst (like perl, which compiles headers).
> >[...]
> >But what could be really helpfull is a method to add or delete an
> >entry in this list. So {pre,post}inst scripts could register their
> >modifications to the fs tree.
>
> What are the goals?  Security?

No, no.

> >Another method needed is the one that permits you to update the
> >conffiles list.
>
> Again, why?
> [...]
> Sorry, Fabrizio, but I think this whole thread is misguided.  I'd be
> willing to return to it once clear goals were agreed upon.

You are absolutely right.
I wasn't suggesting to add this to dpkg-verify, I was just complaining
about something I would like to have available in the Debian system.
I only read Philippe complaining and I jumped on the (wrong) boat.
Please, forgive me.

Anyway, I modified the Subject and now I can explain my goals:

Sometimes I find useful to move files at installation time rather than
at packaging time, and often I had people complaining that the
<package>.list file doesn't adhere to the reality.

My request was to have a method to push some decision at installation
time without breaking anything. A tool like dpkg-verify should be aware
of this problem, I think.

Is this so bad?

Cheers,
Fabrizio
| e-mail: fpolacco@megabaud.fi    fpolacco@debian.org         |
| http://megabaud.fi/~fpolacco/   Join the UKI Linux Project! |
| fingerprint 70 1A 72 2D 2B C8 A5 63 7A C2 CC E0 2A 54 AE DA |
| finger: fpolacco@megabaud.fi    fpolacco@master.debian.org  |