Re: Minimal Webstandards

I really like this solution.  Thanks.  I'll quote it in full for
emphasis.

'Christoph Lameter wrote:'

>I thought about the Web standards issue. I think the webtools could live
>with the following minimal standards:
>
>1. There are directores below /usr/lib/httpd into which all webtools
>   should install their scripts/binary/html code. Those directories should
>   not be modified except by dpkg and maintainer scripts.
>
>2. All directories below /usr/lib/httpd have to be mapped into webspace
>   below the server root by all webservers (does not matter how, could
>   be symlinks, scriptaliases, whatever the server supports. Could be up
>   to the webmaster).

The inverse might work better:  /usr/lib/httpd is ServerRoot and only
/usr/lib/httpd/html/index.html is mapped to some more appropriate
site-local place.

>3. List of some directories (to be extended)
>	/usr/lib/httpd/cgi-bin
>	/usr/lib/httpd/icons

I fully agree about these two.  They do not belong in /var.  And
site-local additions are easy enough to add.

>	/usr/lib/httpd/html

Less clear.  I think most affected packages would need to know where
DocumentRoot is (so they can set up the appropriate symlinks).  Perhaps
the inverse approach would resolve this.

I don't think there is need to extend the list.  /var/log/apache and
/var/cache/squid (and the like) are acceptable to everyone, right?

>4. If a user wants to customize a page beyond what the maintainer did
>   then the page needs to be copied into the root of the real server and
>   the server should provide some way to override the contents of
>   /usr/lib/httpd/x/y then. Perhaps some servers do support something like
>   search paths.
>   (The last point seems to be quite weak.)

But site configuration is possible and an Integrity among the www
packages might be attained ... Those are my design criteria anyway.

>This will avoid all references to server roots in the standards which
>seems to be quite contentious and places demands on the creativity of the
>maintainers of the webservers instead of proscribing a way it should be
>done.

Incisive clear post.  Well done.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS