Re: /etc/sysconfig or /etc/hostconfig (was Re: /etc/default)

cas@taz.net.au (Craig Sanders)  wrote on 24.08.96 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.94.960824104353.11922I-100000@siva.taz.net.au>:

> sorry to take so long to reply to this...i've been too busy at work to
> even check my mailing lists.

Well, *I*'ve been on vacation. There's not much that I still want to
comment on ...

> > Nowhere at all has the /etc/default proposal asked for massive changes
> > to the system.
> >
> > Nowhere at all has someone asked that tar be changed to support
> > /etc/default/tar.
>
> tar was just one example.

An example of how SysV uses this directory, yes.

> how is tar going to get its default options from /etc/default/tar if it
> isn't hacked to read that file?

It isn't. *Nobody* said it had to.

> making changes to many programs to enable them to read /etc/default/*
> files seems to me to qualify as 'massive changes to the system'.

And this *was* *not* proposed.

Changing scripts to do this instead of using hardcoded values *was*
proposed.

MfG Kai