Re: /etc/sysconfig or /etc/hostconfig (was Re: /etc/default)

sorry to take so long to reply to this...i've been too busy at work to
even check my mailing lists.

On 8 Aug 1996, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> > discussion so far has concentrated on this. This will require
> > massive changes to the system so that binaries know how to use the
> > default
>
> I'd really prefer if people don't put up straw men to attack a
> proposal.

1. i wasn't attacking ANY proposal.  I happen to think that /etc/default is
a great idea.

2. As mentioned in my message, i was concentrating on a side of the
issue which seemed to be being ignored: boot time configuration rather
than run-time defaults.

> Nowhere at all has the /etc/default proposal asked for massive changes
> to the system.
>
> Nowhere at all has someone asked that tar be changed to support
> /etc/default/tar.

tar was just one example.

how is tar going to get its default options from /etc/default/tar if it
isn't hacked to read that file?

making changes to many programs to enable them to read /etc/default/*
files seems to me to qualify as 'massive changes to the system'.

> >     - a defined standard for how /etc/init.d scripts should use this
> >       information.  e.g. source the file or:
> >
> >               sed -n -e '/^NEWS_SERVER=/s/\([^=]*\)=\(.*\)/\2/p'
>
> Why not simply source it?

sourcing it is good. however, people seem to be shifting towards using
perl rather than sh...sourcing a sh script in perl isn't going to be
terribly useful.

a file containing "token=value" lines, can be sourced by sh or the
values can be easily extracted in just about any language.

> Oh, I forgot - you lumped all of /etc/default together in one file.
>
> Unnecessary complication. Besides, it makes for name clashes.

To tell the truth, it doesn't bother me too much whether there is one
file containing all configuration information or multiple files...if
debian ends up with multiple files in /etc/default, i'll just create a
Makefile & set of m4 rules to generate them all from a single file.

This will allow me to create my own config_info package which contains
the configuration defaults for all packages I'm interested in. Then,
when I build a new debian machine I can install my config_info package
just after installing base, but before installing the rest of the
system....

Craig