Re: Upgrading our News Server from Debian 1.1 to 1.2

On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

miquels >> Fortunately these were symlinks rather than real directories and after the
miquels >> first shock I was able to simply reinstate the symlinks and have a working
miquels >> newsserver again
miquels >
miquels >They were removed _because_ they were symlinks. But you are right, in
miquels >your particular setup this is a problem. But I don't really know what to
miquels >do about this. Ideas?

I think dpkg needs some more intelligence when removing configfiles. A
symlink pointing to a directory is not to be removed.

miquels >However there is a special exception in the /etc/init.d/boot script of
miquels >sysvinit-2.69 that skips the file "innd.pid" when cleaning up /var/run.
miquels >Perhaps the pid file should go into /var/lib/news in this special case.

Perhaps recovery will work now after upgrade to Debian 1.2?

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5