Re: Goals for 1.3?

'Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:'

>Christian Schwarz:
>> (BTW is the new release called 1.3 or 2.0?)
>
>I'd suggest to leave 2.0 for something major like glibc, kernel
>2.2/3.0, at least one stable non-x86 architecture, building the
>whole system from a single source tree, etc. (one of the above
>mentioned things, not necessarily all of them :-)
>
>> Here is an extrait from the mail "Upcoming Debian Releases" Brian posted
>> here on "Sat Dec 21 00:27:50 1996":
>
>> Thu, Jan 30, 1997 -- Bo will be frozen.
>>
>> Tue, Feb 25, 1997 -- Bo will be released.

If we keep to this schedule, there is no way we can have all packages
rebuilt under glibc in time (geez we still have a.out packages
around).  There is no glibc package yet (and I don't want to see
one until it has been released upstream because programmers have this
thing about changing binary formats in libraries if the previous version
was merely a "beta" and "unreleased").

My personal preference is to keep the Jan 30 schedule, but hold off on
glibc until later (and call that later one Debian 2.0).

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS