Problems with the new X in Debian!

Well, in Debian 1.1.x I had an XF86Config file that was working fine.

With the release of 1.2 and the new X, I kept the same XF86Config file.  But I
had problems such that when I would switch to a text terminal with
Ctrl-Alt-Fx, and then later try to switch back to X, the X server would die.
So I figured I would try XF86Setup to make a new XF86Config file.

BAD IDEA!

First, I found out that for some reason, the X server was not looking for an
XF86Config file in /etc/X11/XF86Config but instead in /etc/XF86Config, so I
had to make that symbolic link manually.

Secondly, XF86Setup unkindly deposited its XF86Config file in ~root, so I had
a difficult time figuring out why it wouldn't recognize my old XF86Config file
(see below).

Finally, XF86Setup completely botched the setup.  I don't know exactly how,
but for my Cirrus Logic GD5428 card, somehow it botched my XF86Config file.
Suffice it to say that X wouldn't start.  startx failed.  When I tried to
restart xdm with /etc/init.d/xdm start, I virtually lost all control of the
console.  About once a second, the screen would go black (presumably trying to
start X), and it would fail and then I would have about half a second to type
a command to stop xdm before it would try again.  This is not good!  If the X
server cannot start, xdm should not keep trying!

Finally I figured that obviously the new XF86Config file was bad.  I noticed
an XF86Config file in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 and deleted it.  I delted the
XF86Config file in /etc/X11.  Then I copied the XF86Config file I had saved to
/etc/X11.  I got an error message that said it couldn't find XF86Config.  I
made a symlink from /etc/XF86Config to /etc/X11/XF86Config.  Restarted X.
Then (I later determined, after much grief!) it loaded the new XF86Config file
from ~root that XF86Setup had put there without telling me!  I couldn't figure
out what was going on for quite awhile.

Anyway, there appear to be some bugs with the new X, the new package, or most
likely, both.

There are so many X packages that I am not really sure exactly which one this
comes from, and I don't know how to submit a bug for it :-(

--
John Goerzen          | System administrator & owner, The Communications
Custom programming    | Centre and Complete Network (complete.org)