Re: 2.1.X Kernels

On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> dwarf >I have been running 2.1.5 since it was released. The only program that I
> dwarf >know of that needs to be changed is the insmod program in the modules
> dwarf >package, but I think the current modules package has the patch included.
> dwarf >(This handles the large address returned by the kernel when loading
> dwarf >modules)
> dwarf >As far as I know, there are no other modifications necessary. I certainly
> dwarf >haven't run into any.
>
> I have reports of
> - irqtune in hwtools not working
> - dosemu failing
> - ibcs not working
>
> I have also some concerns regarding the linux86 packages ability to
> execute 8086 binaries under 2.1.X.
>
> Of course these are all heavily dependant on special kernel features. The
> regular packages I guess will not be a problem. But I wonder how I should
> handle 2.1.X. Shall I make a packageX for each package like I have done
> with bridge and bridgex?

I think that we can do the same thing that we have been doing with the
pcmcia packages.  The package has to be compiled for each kernel we
release.  Therefore there are a few pcmcia packages, one for every
possible kernel download (from the distribution, not a roll your own
kernel).  We can have dosemu-(dosemuversion)-2.0.* and
dosemu-(dosemuversion)-2.1.*  we can put the dosemu*-2.1* in a special
2.1 directory in experimental.  This can probably be done with all
packages that have to be recompiled for 2.1.

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil