Re: uHm... what happened? :)

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Jim Pick wrote:

> > It might be the same bug.
> >
> > Did you see messages like:
> > "Couldn't get a free page...."
> > and
> > "xxx died because of lack of free space." ?
>
> Nope.  I didn't get those.  I was just waiting for dpkg-buildpackage to
> return when I noticed that the system load was increasing and increasing
> and increasing ...   I didn't get any error messages at all.  :-(

Maybe they went into your logfiles ?

How long did you wait till you reseted the machine ?
The bug we are experiencing with the long linear reads
takes its time before it really kills the machine. For the first 1-2h
the only simptom you see is that the load goes up more and more and
the machine strts to swap, then to thrash and then finally has no more
free memory (and still lots of free swapspace)

For a period of 0.5-1h (before death) the machine ist practically
unusable.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005